Tan Beng Luan, Principal of Practice Performing Arts School then, initiated the founding of Creative O Preschoolers’ Bay in 1997. Partnered with Dr Tan Beng Kiang (Architect) and Ms Chia Bee Leng (Accountant), with the participation of the late drama doyen Kuo Pao Kun and arts educator Mdm Goh Lay Kuan, and supported by Creative Technology Limited, Creative O Preschoolers Bay was established and in operation on 1 January 1998. It is located in Creative’s headquaters Creative Resource.
Creative O Preschoolers’ Bay seeks to help children journey through the early stage of their growth, and provide a foundation for an all-rounded self.
Creative O Preschoolers’ Bay strives to:
• provide a stimulating learning environment;
• cultivate basic human values;
• develop the different intelligences essential for a child’s development;
• help children learn through daily experience, observation and practice;
• nurture the ability to think creatively, imaginatively and analytically;
• encourage confidence and individuality;
• inculcate an appreciation and openness for cultures and arts;
• foster children’s care and respect for the environment.
Our teachers play the important role of an educator, advisor, facilitator and care provider for all the children at the Bay. All our teachers are trained and are experienced professionals, with at least a Diploma or a degree in Early Childhood Education. A few are currently pursuing their degree or master degree on government scholarships. Some teachers have been invited by the early childhood training institutes to conduct courses or workshops for fellow teachers. All Arts Teachers are professionally trained in the field of arts and have many years of experience working with children. They are also active individuals in the theatre, music and visual art scenes in Singapore.
• Goh Lay Kuan, Arts Educator and choreographer, Founder of Practice Performing Arts School. She has been awarded the Singapore Cultural Medallion for her achievements in children’s arts education and in creative works.
• Kathleen Chan, an Educator who holds a Master’s Degree in Child Development and Early Childhood Education, Wheelock College, USA. A former Lecturer in Early Childhood Education at the National Institute of Education (NIE), she has been involved in the training of pre-school teachers for many years.
• Dr Wu Mi Yin, has been in the field of organisation development for the last 15 years. She works with education professionals to enhance their capabilities in bringing out the capacity and potential of young children.
• Soh Ai Qiu (Taiwan), former Principal of Zheng Ta Preschoolers Garden of Zheng Ta University, and inspector of preschools for the Ministry of Education, Taiwan.
• Prof Chang Shih Tsung,(Taiwan) from National Taipei University of Education, specialises in designing childcare centres and EduTecque Games for children. He has been invited by Singapore Science Centre, Singapore Press Holdings, RTRC (renamed SEED Institute) to conduct workshops and Creativity Course for teachers.